Monday, December 6, 2010

Day One

Today I decided to start living a vegetarian lifestyle. My friend Chance has been a vegetarian for a little over a year now. He has shown me it is possible. Him and I used to eat a ton of meat together back when we were in college together.
Why am I doing this?
Well I have been on a health kick for the last four months now. I have lost a total of 60 pounds. I recently completed my first half marathon in October. I have been researching ways to live a healthier life. My family has a background of bad hearts. I don't wanna head down that road as I get older. I have been training for a full marathon I plan on doing in December of 2011.
Besides the health side of vegetarianism, I have researched a little on how the animals are treated before they make it to our plates. This is the thing that put me over the edge and made me want to do this. Animals live a tough life and are treated horrible. They pump the chickens and cows so full of hormones these days that their bodies are unable to keep up with the growth and often cannot stand on their own feet. If you wanna know more just ask me and I can direct you to some resources.
To get me started I bought a book called "Vegetarian Times: Vegetarian beginners guide". I am going to start reading it tonight. I will keep you posted on what I learn.



My first vegetarian meal... A Mediterranean vegi sandwich from panara bread.

1 comment:

  1. So how is being a hippie liberal going to help with the treatment of animals? Humans derived from hunters and gatherers, not eating meat just isn't natural. I thought humans were on top of the food chain? And how come all the cool animals eat meat? I mean, who cares about the herbivores right? They suck, so boring with their little berry munching faces.

    There have been investigations on the treatment of the elderly in nursing homes and hospitals. This doesn't mean I'm not going to take my grandma to get treated because less than 0.3% of the elderly were confirmed to be victims of abuse (in 2004). And like the animals, it's not like they understand what's going on, so a little backhand every now and then to keep them from gettin' rowdy during BINGO or to render them unconscious so you can steal their medication seems minimal.

    If animals weren't made to be eaten, why would they be made of meat?

    ReplyDelete